Piano di Sorrento, a pedestrian path in the footsteps of our ancestors. The proposal of the “Black Procession”
Piano di Sorrento. L’Archconfraternity “Death and Prayer”in an interesting post published on social networks, he puts forward an idea aimed at enhancing the historical memory of the city starting from an ancient and precious document: “” A of 13 January 1761 was interminated by the officials of the Vble Archiconfrà della Morte and Orazne erected inside this church that wide in front of the Cong.ne of the SS.Annunziata, that largo I said contiguous to the territory of d.ta Archic.ta with the intervention of the University of this Plan, as per the public Instruction drawn up by the hand of Notar Biagio di Massa, in the right month and year. “
This note had to be so important for the administrators of the Archconfraternity of Death and Prayer and for the Mayor and the Councilors of the University of the Plan that it was inserted on the first page of the Stalls of the foundation of the association.
The Platea di Fondazione was, and still is, the book in which to note the most important things that marked the life of our archconfraternity and of our church. In 1727, the two most important institutions, precisely theArchconfraternity of Death and Prayer and theUniversity of the Pianohad joined their forces to raise, continuing on the model of Estaurite, the Parish of San Michele Arcangelo to Collegiata.
It was not simply adding a title to the Church of San Michele Arcangelo, but creating a new and powerful Spiritual structure that better represented the growth of an increasingly rich and dynamic territory. Thus, if on the one hand the House of the Lord was always more beautiful and rich, on the other the farsightedness of our fathers pursued equal beauty and functionality also in the new urban reorganization of our country.
The Archconfraternity decided to take part of the property garden (acquired with an act of the notary Michelangelo D’Urso of 11 October 1688) and to obtain a square (largo dell’Annunziata) which opened onto the road that led from Gottola to the center of the country (the term “interminare” in the note indicates no limit, without the boundaries of private property).
In the new square they finally showed themselves free to the view of all the mammoth features of the apse of the Church of San Michele and the graceful and elegant facade of the SS Annunziata.
It would be nice that even today, after almost three centuries, the same search for Beauty and the same sensitivity pushed to eliminate three parking spaces which, along the perimeter behind the church, disqualify the farsightedness of our fathers and the resources committed by their children to last important restoration work.
It would be nice to be able to do a pedestrian path which, going down via Santa Margherita and then around the shoulders of the Church of San Michele until passing along the Church of the SS Annunziata, would make us retrace the steps of our grandparents ».